About international companies adopting marketing translation and transcreation to safely go global locally.
Lately I have been working on a greater than usual number of company profiles, presentations, taglines and promotional campaigns to be adapted and localized for the Italian market. The requests come from companies of diverse background and industry, from biopharma to fork lifts, from satellite communication to jewellery.
Hopefully this means international companies are starting to understand the importance of communication and the importance of communicating in the customer’s language.
Today the voice of the customer – surely thanks to social media, apps and a more widely available internet connection – is becoming more and more influential and can in fact shape the fortunes of a brand, so that customer experience has acquired a higher status and attention.
A fundamental part of customer experience is of course the customer understanding what you’re saying, what your products are about and what concepts your brand or company is trying to convey. So, if before, English was adopted as a ‘passe-partout’ language and it was the customers’ problem if they could or could not understand it, now it is up to the brand or company to facilitate understanding and engagement, if they don’t want to become irrelevant to the eyes of the customer.
The customer is saying, loud and clear: if you want my attention, talk to me in my language, within my cultural framework of reference, following the communication standards most suited to the media channel and the occasion.
These are some of the key benefits of localizing your company’s profile, website, promotional contents and social media presence:
- Customer engagement – You will capture and retain the interest of the customers by engaging them in a conversation.
- Brand awareness/recognition – Well-shaped contents in the language of the customers help the brand come alive in their eyes.
- Brand reliability – You will strengthen the trustworthiness of your company, product or brand. Words of mouth, networking, personal interaction, usability are the best means to give you a solid reliability, turning customers into brand ambassadors.
- Brand reputation – You will further improve your brand reputation by avoiding cultural missteps. No small thing in our fast-paced age, where the reputation of a brand or a company can change in the space of days, for better or for worse.
- Brand consistency – By working with language and communication professionals such as translators, transcreators and terminologists, your brand language will be standardized, curated and applied coherently. The language of a brand should be carefully crafted to reflect its core values, and applied consistently throughout all types of contents. It should also be professionally localized/transcreated, to enhance brand awareness/ reputation/ reliability and customer engagement, and to avoid false steps which can cost you dearly. Language is the true soul of a brand: take good care of it.
About the author
Laura Cattaneo is an Italian solo entrepreneur in the field of marketing, creative and legal translation and editing, specialist in hospitality, luxury and digital. She puts her many years of experience to the advantage of her clients by creating texts resonating with the Italian-speaking audience and making brands locally relevant. Connect with her on LinkedIn or visit her website.